June 25, 2009

run

I went running the other day. I often go for a run but here in the US something struck me that I hadnt thought about until I was going along. I know that there is a big push for health care reform and single payer insurance and that it is sad that the richest nation on the planet has people that can not afford to be insured , however there has to be some repercussions for the people who refuse to take care of themselves. I am not talking about a few extra pounds, hell I carry about 10 myself, I am talking about the obese. There must be some system put into place where they are made to be responsible for their own health. If not what is the point? I dont think that the chronically sick should be denied coverage nor should the obese but should they pay the same premiums and co-pays as those of us who regularly exercise and eat well? What if there is a public health care and I decide to take hard drugs to excess isnt that nearly the same? Should you all be responsible for me? Drunk driving and accidents will that be covered? it is really hard for me because I want the whole population to be covered and I wouldnt mind the private insurance companies going out of business but I am really opposed to rewarding bad behavior or at least mitigating the punishment for it. There must be an easy way I havent thought of yet. I will work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment