April 11, 2009

32 million

There are 32 million more boys than girls here in china under the age of 20 according to the NY Times. That is a scary discrepancy. Now I know that it is the parents who are to blame and the one child policy doesnt help the matter but look at it in the longer term. What possible use could a nation have for 32 million expendable men? To put that in perspective the total populations of laos 6.7 million, bhutan less than 1 million, cambodia 14 million, mongolia 2.6 million, nepal 29 million. I know what I might use them for. But of course the kind and peaceful people here would never consider using force to impose their will on people who disagree. Ask anyone who disagrees. So that is what I woke up to this morning, thoughts like these are what make me worried about the future. Lets hope that the 32 million extras get some outlet for their lives that are productive and helpful to society. The fear I have is that the situation will remain closed and these pawns of chance will be the first wave to break across the borders and wipe the peace of the region out to sea. Hope I am wrong.

1 comment: