February 11, 2009

ram-a-lama-beer-pong

You all out there in the world may or may not realize that there is a great amount of joy to be had by going to sleep. I dont say this in jest, but for the last few weeks I have been traveling and doing all kinds of sleeping on the most random of beds. Last night was the first time in a long time that I could lay my head down on my pillow and allow the dark calm to overtake me. The bed I have is no splendid nor even great its pretty hard and basic, but when I turned over in the middle of the night, the shadows were familiar the sounds known and the room itself was one I recognized. This was made all the more pleasant as I was exhausted from the previous nights accommodations. A cold hard metal bench at terminal B in shenzhen. You see the flight from bangkok to shenzhen arrived at 11 pm and the airport is 45 minutes from the city and the flight in the morning left at 8 so I would have traveled an hour and a half in order to sleep for about 3 hours and would have been miserable anyway so I bit the bullet and slept hobo style. The best part was at about 2 in the morning two police officers walked by and checked my passport, took down some info and then went away. A little surreal, I didnt know if I was doing something that was a serious violation of some rule or if they were just keeping tabs on the bench sleepers. I guess I could have asked but I almost never want to start a conversation with a police officer, why invite trouble. Anyways it is good to be sleeping in my bed, though it will be great to have a new bed tomorrow as that is when I will move to beijing.

No comments:

Post a Comment