February 19, 2009

making paper

As the new school year approaches and I prepare to start teaching a new set of subjects I have a new and daunting task in front of me. The school when it hired me told me that I would be teaching Intro to Western Civilization. That was cool as it was my major in college and teaching history is something I actually really enjoy. Now when I got here they told me that there was no book for the course and that I would need to consolidate some other books into one book for teaching. Crazy people. I now have six american college textbooks that I need to read, organize, get copied and prepared to teach. I have no idea what level the english is of the students, I have no idea what they have learned in their high schools, I have no idea what the chinese standards for college students is. I have no idea. I am doing it anyways trying to make a 15 week course that would interest me if I were a student while touching on the main themes that helped to shape and define what western civilization is all about.

1 comment:

  1. he he, the chinese way... they say what they dont mean

    ReplyDelete