April 21, 2009

tix

So I finally got around to getting my tickets back to the US. I wont have much time there just enough to pop in and say hello to the family and some friends then it is back to china. I am both excited and hesitant about going to the US excited because I get to see family and eat the things I want. But hesitant because I have read how the financial crisis is wrecking the people and such and it is not really what I want to see. Plus every time I go back to the US I feel just how much I am not meant to stay there. It is the little things that make me nuts while I am there. And the strangest little thing of all is how much work it is to keep all the conversations out of my head. See here in china I have to try to listen to understand what is being said. So to turn off the comprehension is pretty easy, but in the US I understand everything, people in front of me at the grocery store, people walking on the sidewalk, the TV, everything anyone says. And it is really tiring. I dont know how I did it for so long nor do I know how you all do it everyday, I suppose that with practice it becomes easy to tune out the world, but then you miss the great soundbites that are out there. For instance I was once in a store in the US and a man was on his cellphone and he said,"is darrell there?(pause) well put it on him if it fits him it should fit me." I just cracked up at that one. And to this day I am still smiling about it. Thus I simply can not tune out when I get to the US. It will be a short visit.

1 comment: