January 2, 2009

on the fourth day....

I have come to realize that I will not be getting the use of a school furnished computer in the new job in beijing, thus i must buy a computer for myself. What a shitty process this has turned out to be. First I know so little about computers it is embarrassing, second I cant be bothered to learn, and third I dont really want to do the work required to get the best for my money. Then there is the problem with living in china. Now one would assume that living in the factory floor of the world that things would be cheap and plentiful, and to a certain extent that is true. I can buy knock off dolce and gabanna or fake ipods like no ones business. However getting anything of quality is a pain in the ass, and if I go to the authorized seller China charges a 20% duty on all electronics. Thats right 20% to import shit made here. So now I am trying to figure out a way to buy a computer online and have it sent without paying the extra duty. Technically had I bought a computer while in the US I could have carried it into China with no problems as it is for personal use. However I didnt and now I have to figure this out.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your computer. Mexico is still a mess, but I'm on vacation in NC. Good luck with the new job in Beijing. Maybe this new form of communication will help let us know when you're back on this side of the globe. Cheers, Mate

    ReplyDelete