November 15, 2010

holiday

i slept in late this morning and eventually got up and got started with the entire moving around and being productive and eventually I got hungry so I went out to find some grub. I guess that today is some kind of special day for this part of the world as every restaurant that I entered told me that I could have take away or eat after the evening prayer. Mind you the evening prayer was 4 hours in the future. they were happy to have me sit in their establishment and drink coffee or tea or soda but not eat. So eventually i gave up and came home to make myself a sandwich. I will try again to go out and get some dinner in a few hours. On a completely unrelated note I went out with coworkers to dinner last night and after sitting around chatting I walked back home which was about 3 miles. I was a bit worried at first as I left their hotel at midnight and I was unsure what sort of scene there would be late at night in the streets of riyadh. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that for the entire hour of walking through neighborhoods it was just me and the cats. I did not see another soul, I may make it a habit of strolling around late at night while the rest of the city sleeps.