November 14, 2010

and i walk

I went for a stroll through the streets if riyadh yesterday and realized that this is not a beautiful city. it is working on becoming on and there are loads of high-rise buildings going up and the few that have been completed are architecturally interesting so I have hope for the future of the city. But right now it is low and monochromatic. There are not any places for pedestrians and the sidewalks that do exist are shabby at best. On the bright side i walked by well over a million dollars in cars just sitting in small showrooms. Until yesterday I wasnt aware that lamborghini had showrooms, nor bentley. But I walked by both and each model that they sold was shiny and new in the window. I went into a few malls and it was odd to see people shopping, not just because I hate the activity myself but the women are of course covered but walking into shops that sell western clothes Zara etc. Makes me wonder what exactly is under those long black robes. I have plans to meet some coworkers for dinner tonight about 3 miles from here, I will probably walk over as I want to see the city and get a better bearing on the areas. I still eat lots of goat cheese and olives they practically give the stuff away at the supermarket.