October 8, 2010

elections

I tried to get a absentee voter form mailed out to myself today and of course I was met with a roadblock. Why is it that I can do everything that my life needs online including taxes and banking but to vote is still a hassle. The fact that there has been little progress made into electronic voting tells me that those with vested interests in the system are happy that the US has a 30-40%voter turn out rate. Why make it easy when that could lead to real change. I know the arguments about why there cant be e votes. The fact that i could be hacked, fraud, etc. but really it comes down to not wanting the people to have easy access to the reins of power. If my money is "safe" online I must believe that a vote could be as well. I will suggest that everyone vote not only this election but every election, those who remain silent deserve the decay that comes from apathy.