February 23, 2009

Fight, Fight

The glory of combat fell upon me like a drunk and a sidewalk. Here is a good story. At least I think so. The contract that I signed for work here in beijing(defended from the inside) states that I must work 12 teaching hours. I am currently assigned 10 per week. No big deal right. I thought that perhaps I would be working extra hours in the next term and thus I was prepared to go along with my business. Well yesterday I stopped by the Foreign Affairs Office (FAO) and they said I would be teaching another class but made up of staff that needs to improve their english. And it would be tuesday and friday for 1.5 hours each time. I went home and slept on it. I am not a sucker (no matter what my friends tell you) and I remember that during the application process a mention had been made of an informal small english corner and that it would be 2 hours a week. I wondered if this was the same english corner. So today after teaching (I am the greatest by and by) I went to the FAO and asked about this anomaly. Low and behold they actually expected me to have not an informal small group but instead to teach 23 staff for 1.5 hours and another group of 23 for 1.5 hours. I said that ain't gonna happen. So almost two hours later we worked out that I would have 2 one hour classes and I get paid extra money for doing it. So in the end I work the hours that my contract states but got a slight raise for doing what is my job. And who says the economy is in the crapper.

No comments:

Post a Comment