March 22, 2011

considered

My work has asked me to express if I am interested in returning for another year her to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. I will need to work on a cost benefit analysis before getting back to them. I dont have a job or any other crucial things lined up for the near future so it is a possibility. Aside from that little bit of news I have started another 30 day challenge. I will try to be able to do 100 push-ups nonstop in 30 days time. There are loads of websites that have training programs on them and I should be able to follow one and get into shape. We shall see. The teaching weeks are flying by and these next two weekends will go fast. The teaching is fine except the school continually undercuts all progress that I make with my students. I was not assigned a particularly bright or advanced class. They are the same level and mixed ability as any other class and I have high expectations for them. I have taken the time to organize activities that take into account multiple learning styles and I give extra work to those that need it, but in the end I expect results. My school on the other hand has from the beginning told the teachers that all writing assessments would be academic in nature and relevant to the level and progress we are expected to make in the book. Yesterday we had the second writing assessment. We have been working on time order paragraphs. The writing prompt. What is your favorite day of the week? Who do you spend it with? This is a question that the students could have answered without ever having put foot into my class. I dont know why I am surprised it just grates on me when the institution that is tasked with improving the level of education in the country is the same institution that is hindering it. So I have a few more weeks and a few more assessments. Should be a fun time.