November 11, 2010

express yourself

I was walking around this afternoon and I passed an area that sells plants, this area has maybe 4 average sized store sitting one next to the other. I walked through because I love plants and watched an interaction that gave me pause. There was a woman trying to buy some soil from the storekeeper, He was of course dressed in pants and long sleeve shirt while she wore the mandated niqab (just eyes showing) and they were having a fairly long conversation. Here is what puzzled me: we communicate through a variety of ways both verbal and nonverbal. In fact 90% of communication is done through nonverbal means. Now this man speaking to this woman is shut off from those clues. How can anyone tell what is going on. It is truly amazing and something that I want to know. I will have to make friends with some saudi man to find out. I cant imagine how you can tell if she is joking, or being sarcastic, or anything without seeing their expressions. In the end she bought some soil so I guess it worked out. I on the other hand bought nothing from the plant stores, though I plan to go back and get something soon.