January 27, 2009

thai me up thai me down

I made it to bangkok. Yesterday was spent killing the day in shenzhen. I had tried to update the old blog but the Internet cafe I went to blocked to site. It was quite the experience seeing the chinese government hard at work. It made me start to think about the vast amount of censorship that happens in china. A most recent example is the speech by Obama for the inauguration. There was a mention of communism, to quote,

"Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint."

Not exactly the kind of thing that one would believe needs to be kept from the masses for their own protection or to maintain the harmonious nature of society. Yet the powers that be in china felt it was such a threat that they cut it from the broadcast on the chinese TV coverage. Now my question for those that support the censoring of speech is this, what can one person say that is so bad , so forceful, so completely detrimental to you that it is better not to hear it? I can't think of anything, but if you can please tell me. Anyway now I have to go to the rain station to buy tickets to the port where I will cross to an island. Hope that the population of thailand is less than that of china, and I can get tickets. I am sure I can and if not I will openly swear at the ineptness of the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment