November 13, 2011

lesson learned

I have been teaching a unit on West African folk tales. Generally they follow the same rules as other fairy tales, bad guy does something gets caught moral....
So we read one in class where a trickster cheats his way to marry the kings daughter and is found out because he leaves his water bottle at the place where he cheats. It is of course found out and the marriage is annulled and he is punished. Pretty clear message and moral i think. So I ask my students to tell me what is the story trying to teach, most of them got it, honesty, cheaters never prosper, the truth always comes out, but this one girl in my third period class when I ask raises her hand straight away. I call on her and she says," the story is telling us not to leave any evidence." And people wonder why I love teaching. That kid is going to grow up to be something what a way to see the world. Other than that I got my Praxis scores back. I needed a total of 149 to pass. there were 200 possible points. I finished the Multiple choice section in 27 minutes instead of the recommended 90. I wrote pages of answer to the short answer questions. I had gone out the night before and was really not in the best shape for the test. I barely scored a 196. I even know which question i missed. Ah well next time i will do better.