November 4, 2010

nurse...oh nurse

So even after having to get a full physical from the US. I arrived here in Saudi arabia and on my first full day in the country I found that I needed to go and get a sort of mini physical with their doctors. Now all day I had spent on the male campus and driving over to the doctors office I noticed that there were no women, and on the streets there are no women, so basically it is kind of a sausage fest here in the worst way. At any rate in the doctors office there are of course all men patients and I went in with another new teacher and we were sitting and waiting. The first thing was to get blood drawn, have i ever mentioned I hate needles, so I go into the room and lo and behold a woman doctor is waiting. Just bizarre. She was of course covered from head to toe but still what is going on how does she get to work (women cant drive in Saudi) how does she do her job (women are not supposed to speak to men other than their families) how does this happen? But the strangeness wasnt finished, I next had to get a chest x-ray, the guy who was driving me and translating tells me the next doctor is strange, you know not normal. I just said ok expecting god know what, turns out the x-ray tech was effeminate, very much so, strikingly so. And Again I wondered what the hell, here is an educated man who can leave go to any number of countries and not have to live a life of either lies or in fear of beheading(homosexuals are killed here) just one of the mysteries of life I guess. turns out I am still healthy after the flight. or at least the female doctor and effeminate x-ray tech claimed i was.